S-Mart has access to an assortment of Layout designs that they use as the basic frame for suits of power armor. These prices include the 5 year life nuclear reactor common among S-Mart's power armor line. Their commercial line as well as their custom line all are built upon these basic Layouts.

Type P.S. *Spd **Pilot Fatigue Rate Lift Capacity Carry Capacity Weight Cost
Class A 20 50 mph/220 20% 2,000 Lb. 1,000 Lb. 116 Lb. 280,000
Class B 25 48 mph/210 15% 2,500 Lb. 1,250 Lb. 138 Lb. 370,000
Class C 30 45 mph/200 10% 3,000 Lb. 1,500 Lb. 158 Lb. 460,000
Class D 32 44 mph/197 10% 3,200 Lb. 1,600 Lb. 166 Lb. 500,000
Class E 35 43 mph/195 10% 3,500 Lb. 1,750 Lb. 180 Lb. 560,000
Class F 40 40 mph/175 10% 4,000 Lb. 2,000 Lb. 200 Lb. 660,000
Class G 42 39 mph/165 10% 4,200 Lb. 2,100 Lb. 208 Lb. 690,000
Class H 45 38 mph/155 10% 4,500 Lb. 2,250 Lb. 222 Lb. 750,000
Class I 50 37 mph/105 10% 5,000 Lb. 2,500 Lb. 242 Lb. 850,000
Class J 52 36 mph/90 10% 5,200 Lb. 2,600 Lb. 250 Lb. 890,000

* The first digit is the base speed of the Layout, the second number is the maximum amount of speed that the Layout may be raised to meet. (See Improving the Layouts Below.)

** This is at what percentage of the pilot's normal fatigue rate he tires while running in the power armor suit.

Layout Size

      Not all layouts are exactly 7' in height, they vary dramatically from design to design. What would convince a designer then to produce a suit of power armor like the Glitterboy or the Samson that tower over the heads of types like the SAMAS or the Triax Predator? There are three reasons why S-Mart does so. Firstly a large suit of power armor is intimidating. Aside from Intelligence trained soldiers, and fellow power armor pilots, few are familiar with the abilities of various suits of power armor, thus an extremely large suit is more likely to win a stand-off by a mere show of force without ever having to use the weapons or abilities. The second reason is price. Using more primitive components like pneumatics, hydraulics, rather than compact nano-tech synthetic musculature the weight increases - but the price drops. The only other drawback to this is that the amount of space for systems (S.R.) decreases. The third reason is to use all the same high tech synthetic musculature that a normal suit would utilize, BUT by increasing the size of the layout additional S.R. space becomes available. This not only aids in power armor creation, but gives potential for future development of the type. The table below shows two separate sets of values for each height available. (The heights described have a 2-3" variable, which means they may be somewhat taller, or somewhat shorter without effecting the differences in the S.R. or Costs.) The first describes the modern layouts involving synthetic musculature and the best of electronics, equivalent to the systems found in most power armor systems across RIFTS Earth. The second set describes Pneumatics & Hydraulics, which although obsolete according to common standards, provides a useful alternative allowing for cheap power armor, such as those in the Chipwell category, as well as for some utility types. NOTE: In addition to these spaces an additional 15 spaces are provided for the power system and various environmental systems.

Height Head S.R. Arm S.R. Leg S.R. Main Body S.R. Layout Weight Mod. Layout Cost Mod. *Maximum Pilot Height
7' 20/15 20/15 30/22 40/30 N/A / +10% N/A / -15% 5'8"
7'6" 22.5/17 22.5/17 32.5/24 42.5/32 +20% / +25% +5% / -12% 6'
8' 25/19 25/19 35/26 45/34 +40% / +55% +10% / -10% 6'4"
8'6" 27.5/21 27.5/21 37.5/28 45/34 +70% / +100% +15% / -8% 6'8"
9' 30/23 30/23 40/30 50/36 +110% / +160% +20% / -6% 6'8"
9'6" 32.5/25 32.5/25 42.5/32 52.5/38 +160% / +225% +25% / -4% 6'8"
10' 35/27 35/27 45/34 55/40 +220% / +295% +30% / -2% **5'6"/6'8"
10'6" 37.5/29 37.5/29 47.5/36 57.5/42 +290% / +370% +35% / N/A **5'8"/6'8"
11' 40/30 40/30 50/38 60/45 +370% / +450% +40% / +2% **5'10"/6'8"
11'6" 42.5/32 42.5/32 52.5/40 62.5/47 +460% / +535% +45% / +4% **6'/6'8"
12' 45/34 45/34 55/42 65/50 +560% / +625% +50% / +6% **6'2"/6'8"

* This describes the maximum height possible for the pilot. Maximum weight is not typically governed by the layout, but a pilot should be in reasonably good health. The only thing that governs the weight of a power armor suit is if it is fitted with thrusters. Oftentimes they are configured to handle the weight of the suit, and a pilot of a specific weight, or close to it. If the pilot exceeds that weight performance typically drops. The same is true if the pilot opts to carry additional cargo, such as an ammo drum, a person hitching a ride on the exterior of the armor, etc.

** In these heights two values are listed. These suits of power armor are right on the cusp of qualifying as small robot vehicles. Some are configured to where the pilot is cramped into a small pilot's compartment in the main body area of the power armor. Others are configured like a normal suit of power armor where the pilots legs are in the legs of the power armor. Thus the first value listed is for small robot vehicles, and the second is listed for oversized power armor. Note that those that are configured as small robot vehicles reduces the fatigue rate, mentioned under the layouts, to ZERO!

Reduced Standards Layout

      Not all power armor needs to be combat capable, and as a result S-Mart offers "reduced standards" layouts, composed of lesser grades of material, without the systems being protected from damage quite so well, and without them being double or even triple safeguarded with backup electronics in case of battle damage. For power armor produced like this reduce the final M.D.C. per head, arms, legs, and main body by 50% after completing Step II on the power armor design sequence page. This reduces the cost of the Layout by 30%. Furthermore if this suit encounters combat there is a 01-80% chance that the portion of the body struck will shut down with an attack inflicting more than 10% of that location's damage capacity. At a cost of 20,000 credits the systems may be somewhat protected, shutting down only 1D4 systems if 10% of the main body's damage capacity is depleted. If more than 50% of the main body's damage capacity is depleted then, there is a 20%+5% chance per M.D. point over that 50% inflicted, that all systems, save for the environmental protection, will shut down. (Provided that it has environmental protection.)

Improving the Layouts

Adding Strength

      Adding strength is more difficult than one would expect. Without reinforcement, the P.S. of the Layout can only be increased by up to 5 points. For every 1 P.S., over the base P.S. of the Layout, desired it will cost 10% of the base price of the Layout. Reinforcing the Layout (at a cost of 200,000 credits) will allow the strength to be increased by an additional 5 P.S. points - each at the cost of 20% of the Layout base cost. Weight increases by 2% per point of P.S. added for the first five, and by 5% per point of P.S. added for the next five - up to the maximum of ten.

Adding Speed

      Adding Speed is a difficult feat as well requiring the manufacturer to build up the drive systems with better electronics, replacing typical drive motors, and increasing the electrical output of the reactor in place. The first number in the Layout table listing of Spd. is the base speed of the Layout while the second number is the maximum speed the Layout is capable of with modifications. For every 5 mph over the base speed desired it will cost 1% of the base price of the Layout. For every 5 mph over the base speed increase weight by 2.5%.

Hand to Hand Combat Damage

Strength Increments Punch/Kick Power Punch/Leap Kick Body Flip/Throw & Body Block/Tackle
20-29 1D4 M.D. 2D4 M.D. 1D4+2 M.D.
30-35 1D6 M.D. 2D6 M.D. 1D6+3 M.D.
36-45 2D4 M.D. 4D4 M.D. 3D4 M.D.
46-55 2D6 M.D. 4D6 M.D. 3D6 M.D.
*56-62 4D4 M.D. 5D6+2 M.D. 4D6 M.D.

* A P.S. of 62 is the highest strength current technology in Desert Star allows for.

Questions?|Power Armor Creation Tables|S-Mart|SirTenzan's RIFTS Gallery